Monday, January 23, 2017

The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi

Cover image for The stonekeeperStarting in January I have been assigned to order for our comics/graphic novels section.  This is an area where I have not read widely.  So just as when I was assigned to intermediate (to which I am not assigned any more, by the way) I am going to try to read a comic/graphic novel a week to become acquainted with the collection.  I read Ghosts last month, by Telgemeier, who is one of our most popular graphic novel authors.  This week I decided to read one of the Amulet series.  It is also one of our most popular graphic novel series.

Emily and Navin more into an old house with their mother after their father dies in a car accident.  The house used to belong to Emily's great grandfather. Emily and Navin soon discover their grandfather's lab where they find a magical amulet. Soon after Emily puts it on, monsters come and steal her mother away.  With the help of some of her great grandfather's robots, Emily and Navin try to rescue their mother.

This was an engaging read with really good pacing.  I was pulled right along and hardly put the book down before I was finished. Of course, it doesn't take long to read because there are only a few words per page, so it is a great choice for a struggling reader.  (185 p.)


No comments:

Post a Comment