Thursday, August 3, 2017

Joplin Wishing by Diane Stanley

Cover image for Joplin, wishingJoplin's grandfather, a famous author, has died, and her mother isn't taking it very well.  When they visit her grandfather's home, Joplin is allowed to choose one item as a keepsake. Joplin finds a tin with the pieces of an old Dutch china platter in it.  It is so beautifully painted that a friend of the family agrees to arrange to have it restored.  One day as Joplin is gazing at the picture of the girl on the platter, she wishes for a friend.  That starts a series of events that lead Joplin to friendship, family, time travel and magic.

I am a fan of Diane Stanley.  She started out as a writer of informational books about historical figures.  Then she branched out and wrote some nice historical fantasies.  I think this is the first time she has written a contemporary fantasy, but of course it does have some historical elements. The book got starred reviews and I enjoyed it.  One or two of the characters seemed a bit too perfect to me--too good to be true-- but it made for a nice, light, fast read with an interesting plot.  It was just what I needed after "The Boy on the Wooden Box" and "Pretty."  (oops, I think I haven't blogged Pretty yet.  I will do that one next.)  The book reminded me of  "When Your Reach Me" by Rebecca Stead but with not quite as realistically drawn characters. (255 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment