Friday, December 28, 2018

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Cover image for Little womenI have read Little Women several times now.  This time I read it because I watched the new PBS Little Women mini series.  I am so familiar with the Winona Ryder version, when I watched the PBS one I thought, 'humm, this is really different.  I wonder which one is closer to the book?'  The answer is that the PBS series got more of the actual story elements and chronologies correct, but I personally believe the older video got some of the personalities better.  I especially didn't like the new portrayal of Amy.  She is certainly not as bratty and spoiled in the book as in the new PBS series.

A couple of things struck me as I read this beloved classic again.  I had forgotten how moralizing it is.  It is very preachy, and every event has its edifying moral lesson.  Another interesting observation is that the book really follows all four girls in their life journey, focusing whole chapters on just Meg, or just Amy, while all the movies mostly focus on Jo.  I don't know why that is.  I guess it is because Jo best represents the author, and maybe has a more interesting romantic journey.

I enjoyed reading the book again, and I don't mind the little moral lessons. There are some issues with ethnocentrism and negative stereotypes of foreigners, but they were not beyond what was normal for the time period. The message of enduring hardship through faith and close family ties is so delightful that I think families, especially families with girls, would do well to read the book together.  (400 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment