Sunday, June 2, 2019

A Willing Murder by Jude Deveraux


Sara Medlar is a world famous author who lives in a beautiful but lonely old house.  Kate is her niece, who didn't even know that one of her favorite author's was also her aunt. Jack is Sara's young and handsome business partner and adopted grandson who has been broken in body and spirit.  When the three end up living in the same house, Sara couldn't be more delighted.  When a 20 year old unsolved murder is revealed in property Jack and Sara own, the unlikely threesome become an unstoppable crime solving trio.  The little town of Lachlan Florida won't know what hit them.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I have read a Jude Devereaux novel.  She is most famous for steamy romances.  I actually didn't know that when I started the book.  It somehow showed up as checked out on my Overdrive app.  I don't even remember putting it on hold.  I decided to read it in my effort to expand my experience with literature written for adults.  After I had read a bit I began to realize that the author was adept at writing provocative dialog and physical description.  There is a lot of repressed sexuality in this book.  But amazingly enough, nobody jumps into bed with anyone.  I was pleasantly surprised.

The mystery element was pretty good.  I mean, it is pretty obvious who the guilty party is from the very beginning, though there was a little twist at the end.  Still, the ways that the author fills in relational details of the victims is pretty good.  All in all, I enjoyed the book and will probably recommend it to my friends who like the cozy mysteries, even though this one was a little spicier than most. (2018, 333p)

No comments:

Post a Comment