Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Audacity Jones Steals the Show by Kirby Larsen

In this second adventure of our plucky young orphan, Audacity and her best friend, Bimmy, have been invited to help their friend Cypher, lately hired by the Pinkerton Detective Agency, on an important assignment in New York City.  Harry Houdini is preparing to do his most impressive disappearing act to date, to disappear a whole elephant in a Vaudeville show in the Hippodrome.  He is working with a scientist to make the illusion, and Cypher has been assigned to protect the scientist.  To accomplish his mission he is going undercover as a juggler, and Audacity and Bimmy are to be part of the juggling act.  As they arrive in New York and poke around the Hippodrome, Audacity finds someone else who needs to be protected, a baby elephant called "Baby."

After I finished my last book, I wanted to read something quickly as I waited for a different book I had on hold.  I decided to read a children's book, just to stay balanced.  When I saw this one I vaguely remember reading the first in the series years ago.  I remembered that is was a cute book so I decided to give this one a try.  It is pretty much like the first one.  It is cute, even cutsy, and I think there are a lot of 3rd grade girls out there that would really enjoy it.  Kirby gives the girls a kind of formal, old fashion way of speaking that is a little bit charming and the story has plenty of action and hijinks to keep a young reader turning pages.  I guess I am getting used to reading the adult books, and I don't enjoy children's books as much as I used to.  I am so glad I have my current job, and have been able to expand my reading to include a wider range of books.  Still, I am glad I read this one so I will be reminded of another book I can recommend to young readers. (2017, 192 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment