Saturday, July 10, 2021

Virga and Bone by Craid Childs

 Craig Childs is a desert researcher, educator and lover.  In this book he waxes eloquent on many aspects of the American western desert regions. Each chapter is an essay on a different theme.  One is about finding water, and one is about all the garbage people have dumped in the desert.  He talks about the ties between ancient and modern desert dwellers, and both the beauty and violence of the desert landscapes. 

I read this short book because it was the first of two "Thrive 125, Utah Reads" titles.  (The second, Summerlost, I read coincidentally just a few months ago).  It was worth reading.  I liked the fact that Child's embraces both the good and the bad of the desert. The abandoned and shot up old refridgerators are as much a part of the landscape for him as the sequaro cacti.  The writing is good, and the length is good.  I don't think I would have been able to finish it if it were 100 pages longer.  For someone who has lived most of her life in desert areas, it spoke to my heart.  I don't know how much appeal it would have for someone from the East coast.  They would probably just think Child's was crazy.  (120 p. 2019)

p.s.  In case you, like I, didn't know what virga is, it is when clouds over the desert start to rain, but the rain evaporates before it hits the ground.  We experienced it just this past week in Utah County.

No comments:

Post a Comment