Sunday, November 14, 2021

The Outward Mindset by The Arbinger Institute

 The city administration where I work is sending all the managers to an Arbinger Institute training next week. In preparation we were asked to read Leadership and Self Deception, which I read several months ago, and The Outward Mindset.  The Leadership and Self Deception book is written around a fictional narrative about a middle manager executive who is called into his manager's office and trained to be more open and compassionate to his co-workers and family.  This book is more like a workbook written to go along with the training.  It contains several real-life stories about different companies and their success or failure at maintaining an outward mindset.  It also includes a lot a commentary that reinformces the main ideas meantioned in the Leadership book. I found the book fairly dry, and that it really didn't have any new ideas that hadn't been discussed in the Leadership book.  Still, I tried to satisfy due dilligence by considering my own actions by asking myself if there is someone with whom I need to be more open. It sounds like it will be an OK training and I am looking forward to attending. (2019, 208 p)

No comments:

Post a Comment