Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Redemption by David Baldacci

 Amos Decker goes back to his home town to visit the grave of his daughter on what would have been her 14th birthday.  A man approaches him in the cemetery, and Decker recognizes him as one of the first people he ever investigated for murder.  The man tells Decker that he was innocent, and challenges Decker to find the real murderer.  The next day Alex and Decker find that the man has been murdered.  Alex is called back to Washington, so Decker teams up with his old partner. As they investigate the old case once again, Decker sees things that he missed as a rooky.  He is driven by guilt to pursue the case further, but as he does, people connected with both the original and more recent murder keep ending up dead.  

This is number five in the Memory Man series.  It was a pleasant change after having read three intermediate or teen books in a row.  I am starting to see a formula in the books.  They all seem to have an explosion scene, Decker gets hit on the head, there is a car crash, an informant ends up in a comma, a shooter is chasing after them in a darkened building.  I guess they are common action sequences for any thriller.  I guess it is just like the tropes in my clean romance books, so why would I get tired of these?  The fact is I do get tired. I like to read one genre for a while and then switch to a different.  Still, I enjoyed this book well enough.  I like the pacing and the fact that the books in this series are pretty clean and have relatively less graphic description of violence.   I am sure I will read more in the series. (432 p. 2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment