Sunday, June 25, 2023

The Bullet that Missed by Richard Osman

Ron, Elizabeth, Ibrahim, and Joyce are back.  When they start looking into the murder of a news anchor ten years earlier, bad things start to happen.  Obviously there are secrets and culprits that still want to stay hidden.  What's worse, someone is now threatening Elizabeth and Joyce's life if Elizabeth refuses to kill someone from her spy past. Can the four senior citizen outsmart the dark underworld of money laundering or will the past finally catch up with them.

I waited a long time to listen to this book.  I had it on hold for 6 months, and then accidentally returned it before I could listen to it.  I put it on hold again and had to wait 3 more months. As it turned out, it wasn't maybe as good as the first two.  I enjoyed listening to it--hearing Ron, Elizabeth, Joyce, and Ibrahim's voices again was like seeing old friends-- but the plot wasn't maybe quite as tight and cleaver as in the first two books.  I also felt like the ending didn't resolve well.  I think the author is getting overconfident and maybe not listening to his editor as much as he should.  It often happens with authors that are hugely successful.  They begin to believe they don't need to be edited. They forget that their good editors are part of the reason they were hugely popular in the beginning. Still, I will surely listen to the next in the series when it comes out. (352 p. 2022)

No comments:

Post a Comment