Thursday, April 18, 2024

The Lost Letter by Mimi Matthews

 Sylvia Stafford was one of the jewels of London society and Sebastian Conrad was the second son of an earl destined for a career in the military when Sylvia caught his eye. Serious and socially awkward, it was hard for him to pursue Sylvia, but right before he was to ship off to India, it seemed that their relationship had advanced to an understanding.  Soon after he left, Sylvia's father committed suicide and Sylvia was forced to become a governess to support himself.  Meanwhile, Sebastian was seriously wounded in battle, and came back to England with a severely disfigured face. Both were living in quiet unhappiness when Sebastian's nosey sister convinced Sylvia to come and visit at her brother's estate. Can they overcome the tragedies of their past and have a hope for a brighter future?

I chose this as a filler book while I was waiting for some books I have on hold to come in. This is the first book I have read by Mimi Matthews, and I was pretty happy with it.  It is a very standard Victorian romance, but it is clean and decently written. I appreciated the fact that neither main character acted stupidly, though there was some frustrating miscommunications.  The story isn't very complex, a pretty standard Beauty and the Beast motif, but it is short and enjoyable enough that I put Ms. Matthews on my Clean Romance Writer's list and will probably try reading something else by her sometime in the future. (2017, 242 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment