Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Orgullo Y Prejuicio por Jane Austen (trans. por Jose Jordan de Urries Azara)

 I am mostly writing this post to brag a little. One of my New Year goals was to read a novel in Spanish.  I decided to read Pride and Prejudice because it is one I have read many times before in English so I am familiar with the story and language. I found a bilingual copy, with English on one side of the page and Spanish on the other.  It would have taken me much more time to get through it if the English hadn't been right there to refer to. Some paragraphs I could read fairly fluently but others I was looking over to the English on every sentence.  It took me nearly 6 months, but I finished it in the hospital on the day of my husband's surgery.

I thought the translation was pretty good.  I learned some new idioms I hadn't heard before.  I don't know enough Spanish to know if they were historically accurate idioms, but the translation was done early enough they could be. One the translator used a couple of times was "I don't care a pumpkin about that."  The meaning is clear, but I hadn't heard it before. Overall it was a fun and effective way to expand my Spanish fluency. (1924 translation, 331 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment