Friday, July 24, 2026

Unraveled by Julie Daines

 Bronwyn tries to avoid the stares and repulsion she sees in other's faces when they see her crippled legs. One day a fey creature called a gray lady comes to visit her and gives her a pair of shoes that make her legs straighten and appear whole. Her mother is so excited she arranges for her daughter to go to the capital city to be presented at court. At court she meets the handsome prince who is instantly taken by her beauty.  She also meets and old friend who knows she is normally crippled. He tries to discourage Bronwyn from accepting the Prince's advances, warning her that she can't keep her secret from the Prince forever,  but who can resist being courted by the most eligible man of the kingdom? Perhaps if the Prince comes to love her enough, he won't mind when he finds out she is not what she seems. Perhaps.

I need to look back at the other books I have read by Daines.  I must have liked them because I put her on my "clean romance writers" list.  This one, however, I could barely get through.  I almost quit several times, and only made it through so I could write this review and say how much I disliked the story. Bronwyn is a stupid, silly girl who keeps making bad decisions. She keeps stacking lies on lies even when she knows that once she tells the prince the truth it wouldn't go well. She is also not very nice to her other friends.  She lets them suffer so she can continue to enjoy her royal suitor's attentions and she's rude to everyone who is trying to help her. I think the premise of the story could have worked if she had tried to come clean earlier in the story but have been trapped into the lie by other circumstances, but she keeps coming back to a bad situation even after she has a chance to escape. I know stupidity is pretty common in the world, but I personally never want to read it. (192 p. 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment