This book caught my attention, not only because of the fame of the author, but because I had my own brush with TB when I was a child. I never contracted the disease, but was identified as a carrier when I was in first grade and went through a year of treatment which included taking pills and getting chest x-rays to prevent me from either developing TB symptoms or passing the disease to others. It was interesting to compare my experience with TB treatment to the experiences of people in developing countries discussed in the book. Green is an engaging writer and the book is very interesting. I know a nonfiction book is good when I repeatedly tell my husband about it during dinner or when we are out driving. Readers should be aware that Green is no unbiased historian. His purpose is to promote more equitable health care for all people. I hope his book fulfills his hopes. (2025, 198 p.)
Monday, September 21, 2026
Everything is Tuberculosis by John Green
John Green's book, The Fault in Our Stars, and his subsequent books made him a very wealthy man. He decided to use some of his wealth to do good. He began campaigning for better health care in Africa, and one time while he was visiting Sierra Leone, he met a young patient in a tuberculosis hospital named Henry. The young man was pleasant and charming, and Green was instantly taken with him. That motivated Green to investigate why tuberculosis, which is preventable and treatable, is still one of the deadliest diseases in the world, killing over a million people every year. As he researched he discovered that tuberculosis has influenced history in unexpected ways for centuries. It was connected to the beginning of WWI and the settlement of New Mexico. TB patients in the 1800's were considered glamorous and some thought TB gave suffering artists greater creativity. Now that a cure has been found for the disease, only groups of people too poor to afford the complex treatment involving multiple antibiotics still die from the disease. Green's research caused him to face the sobering truth that prejudice and privilege are the main causes of TB deaths in the world.
Labels:
Grown-up Nonfiction
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment