Saturday, September 12, 2026

The Correspondent by Virginia Evans

At the beginning of the book, Sybil Van Antwerp is a 72 year old retired law clerk. She is divorced, lives alone, and write letters as a way of organizing her life and relationships. The book is a collection of the letters written to and from a wide variety of people, from her children and friends, to famous authors and statesmen. The letters unfold her life and through them the reader begins to see that even though Ms Van Antwerp seems strong and put together on the outside, inside her soul is plagued by  wounds so deep she feels incapable of facing them. Over the course of the next six years, people come into her life, friends speak the hard truth to her, she is able to help someone she once harmed, and finally claims the full life that had ever before been denied to her. 

I can't remember who recommended this book to me, but I want to thank them.  There is a reason that this book has sold over 2 million copies in one year and is on almost everyone's award list.  It is lovely and sweet. It makes the reader want to go out and reconcile with an estranged friend, or write a letter to a family member.  It is especially appropriate for older readers, and gives hope that even in the later years, wrongs can be righted, and there is hope for a fuller life.  I expected the author to be older, but she is only 40.  I don't know how she had such insight into the emotional journey of aging. Anyway, if I ever meet her, I will shake her hand. (304 p. 2025)


No comments:

Post a Comment