Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan


Last week I went on a little vacation with my husband. I decided to take a book with me to read during down time and the one I chose was The Red Pyramid. I am a great Riordan fan. I have read all of his Lightning Thief series and I consider him about the best fantasy action writer for children right now. I am afraid, however, I was a little disappointed in this book. It was a good book, but it was too much like the Lightning Thief. I think if I had read this before reading that series I would have thought it was great.

In this story a boy, Carter lives with his dad who is an archaeologist. His sister, Sadie, lives with their grandparents because their mother has died. On one rare occasion when Carter actually gets to see his sister, their father performs some kind of ancient Egyptian ceremony, and is captured by some kind of demon. The rest of the book Carter and Sadie are trying to find and rescue their father. As they do they come to discover that they are descendants of Egyptian Pharaohs and have the ability to interact with the ancient Egyptian deity. Of course this gives them powers they never knew they had and enemies who chase them around the world. Their are some things about the book I really liked. It is always fun to see how Riordan sets ancient myths into a modern setting. As always his action sequence writing is fast paced and exciting. I also liked that fact that the main character was black, but it wasn't a huge issue in the story. I think if kids like The Lightning Thief, they are likely to enjoy this one, too. (516 p)

No comments:

Post a Comment