Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Black Arrow by Rober Louis Stevenson


Here I am reading more Robert Louis Stevenson. I just can't help it. I love the language and all the swashbuckling adventure. There is something quaint in the total lack of political correctness. The girl is stereotypically female, and our hero, Dick, is stereotypically heroic. The noblemen are corrupt and the commoners are simple. I must admit that I didn't like this one as well as Kidnapped or Treasure Island. This one is about the War of the Roses. Our hero, Dick starts out on one side of the conflict, and then switches to the other for a while before deciding they are all daft together. In the end he takes his sweetheart, marries her, and they go off to live on a farm together. A child would have to be quite a medieval geek to enjoy this one. (328p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment