Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Sorceress by Michael Scott


Awe, Man! This is the third book in a series that started with The Alchemist and The Magician. If you have been following my blog you know that I liked The Alchemist, though I thought it a little cliche, and I liked The Magician even better. But this book has the same problem that often plagues authors when they have their first successful series. It badly needed to be edited! When the first books do well, the authors think they are hot stuff, and they know their editors will take their next book no matter what. So they refuse to be edited. Somehow, Mr. Scott thought we hadn't read his other two books. He had to go back over all that had happened before. He retold the whole story, and rehashed all the facts he had introduced in the first two books, over and over again. Each character had to be amazed, all over again, that the stories they used to think were fantasy were, in actuality, real. There were really only four new characters introduced, three good guys and a bad guy. Shakespeare was a little funny because he kept quoting his own plays, but the others were not that interesting. In all honesty, the book would have been way better if it had been cut down to 300 pages instead of 500. I just checked Scott's webpage and there are at least 3 more in the series. The next one, though not as long as this one, is over 400 pages. So I think I am done with this series unless someone else reads the rest of them and tells me the third book was the worst one. (512 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment