Thursday, September 19, 2013

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Cover image for Tuesdays with Morrie an old man, a young man, and life's greatest lessonI was about to get in the car to drive to Arizona for my son's wedding, when I thought, "I need something to read on this trip."  So I grabbed Tuesdays with Morrie off of my book shelf (I had picked it up at a yard sale) and I read it in the hotel.  It was an interesting choice to read during that emotionally charged time in my life.  It brought a bit of peace, and gave me a chance to reflect on some of the bigger questions.

It is a story of a man, Ted, who had a beloved teacher in college.  As the story begins, Ted has been in a successful career for several years and has lost track of his old teacher.  When his company goes on strike, he happens to visit the teacher again and discovers that he is dying from Lou Gehrig's disease. Ted starts visiting Morrie every Tuesday, and they discuss the meaning of life and what is important.  As time progresses, Morrie's condition gets worse and both men learn to deal with and accept the decline of life, while coming to value their own friendship even more. The discussions are thought provoking and Morrie's philosophy focuses on strengthening relationships.  It is a short book, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a contemplative look at life. It is written for adults, but there is nothing in it that would be inappropriate for teens.  I don't think it is for children. (192 p)

No comments:

Post a Comment