Sunday, December 29, 2013

Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland by Sally Walker

Cover image for Written in bone : buried lives of Jamestown and Colonial MarylandAfter reading Boneshaker and Lockwood and Company (see below), I was about done with ghost stories for a while. So why did I pick up a nonfiction about dead guys?  Who knows. I am glad I did.  This was a really interesting book about archaeology in the Jamestown and other colonial areas. Ms Walker doesn't shy away from using and technical terms and ideas but she always explains them in a way that is clear but not condescending. I learned so much from reading the book.  I kept telling my friends and family interesting things I had read about funeral shrouds, or earth stains or carbon dating.  This is a great book for nerdy science kids, or reluctant readers who don't want to be bothered with fiction. (144 p)

No comments:

Post a Comment