Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Gustav Gloom and the People Taker by Adam Troy Castro

Cover image for Gustav Gloom and the People TakerGuess what? I get to do parent/child book club at the library again!  This time I am doing the girl's group.  The person who was doing it before had scheduled to do Coraline next month.  I really disliked Coraline, thinking that it was way too scary.  So I asked if I could do another book.  My boss wanted me to do a book from the Horror genre so I looked through our pre-existing book club sets and chose this one.

Fernie's father is a safety inspector and is paranoid about everything.  In contrast, Fernie, her sister, Pearlie, and their mother are born adventurers.  When they move into a new house, Fernie's father is concerned about the dark spooky house across the street.  Its only (living) resident is a boy named Gustav who always looks sad.  One night Fernie's cat runs across the street and into the yard of the spooky house.  Fernie runs after it, and begins a creepy and sometimes terrifying adventure where she meets the People Taker,  his Beast, and makes a new friend, Gustav.

This was cute, with a sprinkling of scary and exciting.  It is a good mix of the three at an appropriate level for the age group I am working with (9-12 and their parent).  I plan to talk about elements of horror writing and illustrating, and I think we will do either shadow pictures or puppets for a craft. (226 p. 2012)


No comments:

Post a Comment