Thursday, December 7, 2017

Orphan Island by Laurel Snyder

Cover image for Orphan IslandJinny has grown up on a secluded island populated by nine orphans.  Every year a boat comes bringing a new child, and taking the oldest of the orphans away.  The new "oldest" orphan takes charge of the new child and teaches him/her the ways of the island.  When it is Jinny's turn to be the oldest, she is uncomfortable with her new responsibility, and begins to question the status quo of their life on the island, with disastrous results.

This is one of the books on our Newbery list, but I did not enjoy it at all.  The first half was fine, but as the story went on the main character got more and more whiny.  I found myself dreading listening to it, so I turned the playback speed up just so I could get through the end. The ending was artsy, and infuriatingly ambiguous. It reminded me of "The Giver" by Lois Lowry.  Actually, it is kind of like an anti-Giver. Both are Utopian societies, but one is civilized while one is more primitive.  In one the adults are in control and in the other there are only the kids.   Jonas is an unselfish, likable guy, while Jinny is a selfish, annoying girl. Anyway, I am finished and can go on to something I might actually enjoy.(2017, 269p)

No comments:

Post a Comment