Friday, May 18, 2018

An Inconvenient Beauty by Kristi Ann Hunter

Cover image for An inconvenient beautyHis grace, Griffith, Duke of Riverton, has decided it is his duty to wed, so he carefully and logically picks his future wife from the wallflowers at the seasonal balls in London.  Much to his surprise, the plain aristocratic girl he chooses to start to court keeps trying to avoid him.  He ends up being left in the company of her stunningly beautiful cousin over and over and starts to form an attachment to her instead.  Little does he know that she is hiding secrets, and it will not be a smooth road to marriage with her either.

This is actually the fourth in a series of Christian historical romances.  Each one is about a different family member of the house of Riverton.  I checked it out because I was going on vacation and decided to ditch the kid's novels for a week, just for fun.  It was a fun read, though not of the quality of Georgette Heyer's best (but I have read all of those already).  Still, it has all the trappings that I enjoy in a fluffy, clean, historical romance.  I haven't decided how I feel about the Born Again elements the author added.  They seemed a little out of place in the story.  The characters were thinking about God in a modern way instead of in a way I would imagine a Victorian would think.  Still, it was not a huge part of the narrative, and not at all offensive.  I will probably read others in the series the next time I need a break from middle grade novels. (379 p. 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment