Friday, June 22, 2018

The Penderwicks at Last by Jeannie Birdsall

Cover image for The Penderwicks at lastThis is the most recent and (maybe) the last of the Penderwicks series.  In this one the original sisters are all grown up and Rosalyn is getting married.  She decides to get married at Arundel, and so all the family returns to where the story started.  This one is written from the point of view of Lydia, who is 11 and the half sister to the original four.  She gets to experience the magic of Arundel for the first time and makes a friend in the daughter of the groundskeeper.  It has the tone of the other books and I think it ties the story up quite nicely.  Some bloggers were disappointing in the "shipping" (i.e. who ended up marrying whom), but I think in real life not everyone ends up marrying the person they thought they would.  I actually think that is a good message for a children's book. As I was reading it I realized that I actually skipped the 4th book, The Penderwicks in Spring, and now I have to decide whether I will go back and read it. (2018, 294 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment