Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie

Cover image for The body in the libraryColonel and Mrs Bantry wake up one morning to find that someone has left the body of a young women in their library.  Mrs Bantry is a friend of Miss Marple, and immediately calls on her to help solve the case and deflect suspicion from her dear husband.  Local and regional investigators look in to all the probable suspects, but it is Miss Marple's shrewd knowledge of human nature and ability to read people's characters that finally solves the mystery.

I started to listen to this one and realized that I had read it before.  I checked my blog, and I didn't have a post for it, so it must have been before I started blogging.  I actually couldn't remember how the story ended so I decided I might as well listen to it again.  Agatha Christie is one of my favorites.  She must have been a remarkable woman, much like her character of Miss Marple, to be able to pick up on all the subtle gestures and comments that communicate character and internal thoughts.  All through the book when Miss Marple would point out one thing or another of how certain people act, I kept thinking to myself, "yeah, that's right.  I have seen people do that." Her plotting is  clever, but it is the characterizations that make Christie so fun to read. Stephanie Cole is a great reader for Christie.  She has just the right British accent.(1942, 242 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment