Tuesday, November 27, 2018

The Power of Moments by Chip & Dan Heath

Cover image for The power of moments : why certain experiences have extraordinary impactTwo brothers, one a professor at Stanford, the other a professor at Duke, explain how stand-out moments can change the course of a business transaction, a company, or a life. Many of these moments happen surreptitiously, but the authors argue that by understanding the elements of these kinds of experiences business owners and other individuals can engineer them to produce dramatic positive outcomes. After the introduction, the book has four main sections, each one talking about one of the aspects of a impactful moment: Elevation, Insight, Pride and Connection.  Each of these sections starts with an extended story of a life changing moment, and then goes on to elaborate the idea it demonstrates with other research and case studies.  The four sections each end with a thought exercise for the reader to try to practice applying the idea in a real organizational situation.

This was very well written and I never found myself tempted to skip over parts to get to the next idea as I have done with some similar business-type self-help books.  Instead, I found myself coming up with ideas of how I could use the principles in my new job as a library director and in my personal life.  This book was given to me by my good friend and boss at Provo Library when I left there, and I may, at some time, give it to someone I care about who has to take on a managerial position for the first time.  It really has some good ideas presented in an interesting and accessible way. (2017, 307 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment