Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Niel DeGrasse Tyson

After reading a bunch of realistic fiction, I was ready for something different.  This book caught my eye, and I thought it was just the thing to give me some perspective on my life and the world.  Tyson is like the Carl Sagan of the new millennium, and this book, though it covers a lot of information about astrophysics, is very readable and entertaining. The book started out as a series or articles in a science magazine in the late 90's and early 00's.  Tyson covers topics of popular interest like the Big Bang, the expanding universe problem, and the theories of dark energy and dark matter.  He is an expert of describing complex ideas in terms that are accessible and engaging. I try to be a scientifically aware layman, but there was a lot of ideas in the book I hadn't heard of before.  Although written for adults, there is no reason a geeky 6th grader couldn't enjoy it.
I really enjoyed it, and was a little bit sad that it is so short. (224 p. 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment