Thursday, August 19, 2021

Sal and Gabi Fix the Universe by Carlos Hernandez

 Sal and Gabi are back, ready to do what it takes to fix the holes they have made in the multiverse.  They are also looking forward to their special arts school back to school night.  Things seem to be going well, until Sal gets a visit from a Gabi from another universe. She shows Sal what has happened to destroy her world, and claims that Sal's dad, in that universe, made a mistake that caused the destruction. Sal is concerned because his dad had just made a big breakthrough in his study of calamity physics.  Can this new "Gabi" be right?  Is Sal's own father on the road to destroying the universe?

I chose this one after finishing Cold Mourning because I was ready for something much lighter.  This book fit the bill.  It has much the same tone as the first in the series, but if anything, it is even funnier.  I love Hernandez's languange, filled as it is with spanglish and creative metaphore.  He also has a nack for creating really silly and hilarious situations.  I was chuckling outloud as I listened.  The only reservation I have about it is that it was a little long, and could maybe have used some more editing.  The author ended the book with hints of another in the series, and I will probably read it when I come across it. (2021, 432)

No comments:

Post a Comment