Sunday, November 27, 2022

Two books I didn't finish by Emily Henry

I discovered this week that Emily Henry is not the author for me.  I started with Book Lovers and really liked it in the beginning.  The dialog was clever and snappy, but two hours in the description of their sexual attraction got too much for me.  I just don't want to hear over and over which body parts were throbbing and what each was touching when they lost control around each other. 

It just so happened that the next book on my hold list was also by Henry.  I actually didn't realize it was by the same author in the beginning but when I figured it out I was instantly on my guard.  People We Meet on Vacation was less steamy than Book Lovers, and I liked the characters a little better.  I actually listened to 8 of the 11 hours of the recording, but then got bored.  The reader learns early on that the main characters had spent 10 summers vacationing together. I had listened to the descriptions of 4 of them. They involved a lot of drinking and being silly together, and I thought, "do I really want to listen to the last  6 vacations for three more hours?" and the answer was "No."  Plus, their relationship in the "present" was heating up and I was afraid it would be as descriptive as in the Book Lovers book.

It is interesting that I put them on hold because they were some of the top requested titles on our library's e-books server.  Other people are clearly liking them better than I did.  



No comments:

Post a Comment