Thursday, December 1, 2022

The Sheriffs of Savage Wells by Sarah Eden

 Paisley Bell had been working as the unofficial assistant to the sheriff of their sleepy Wyoming town before he left to become a logger in Oregon. She kept on acting as sheriff until the city council decided to advertise for a replacement. The other four candidates scoff when Paisley applies for the position, especially a famous lawman, Cade O'Brien.  Cade is tired of killing bad guys, first in the Civil War and later as a sheriff.  He wants a job in a quiet town where he can settle down. At first he finds Paisley's stubbornness frustrating, and the two butt heads.  But as the competition for the position advances, they come to secretly respect each other and realize that they enjoy their verbal sparring matches. Sparks start flying of a different nature, but will their ambition to land the same job prove to be a permanent wedge between them?

After my two failed book attempts, I just wanted something to read that I knew wouldn't contain any smut. This is one of Shadow Mountain's "Proper Romances"  and although they are full of romance, they don't contain bad language or sex. This book ended up being so cliché that it made me laugh out loud.  It was like Louis Lamour meets Georgette Heyer. The characters were bigger than life, and there is no real attempt to make the setting authentic. Still, it was just what I was in the mood for at the time and I really enjoyed it.  I am glad I have a few authors I can return to for refuge with the I need a break from modern amorality.  (336, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment