Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Great Courses: Ancient Civilizations of Asia Minor

 In this 24 part lecture series, Harl traces the history of Asia Minor from the period of the Hittites in about 2000 BCE to the rise of the Ottoman Empire in 13th century AD. He looks at how the different civilizations were manifested politically and culturally from the city of Troy, through the great empires of the Old Testament, Alexander the Great, the Roman empire, the Holy Roman Empire and finally the Ottoman Turks. Each lecture is about 1/2 hour long and Dr Harl is an informed and passionate advocate for increased appreciation for this part of the world. 

When people think of the leaders of Ancient Europe and Asia, they don't usual think about Asia Minor (the part of modern day Turkey between the Mediterranean and the Black Seas) but Dr Harl argues, convincingly, that they should. I was drawn to this series because I have been studying the New Testament this year, and the Apostle Paul, especially, talks a lot about cities in Asia Minor.  As I listened, however, I realized I was recognizing stories, places, and personalities I had studied in my Humanities classes in college.  It also gave me new perspective about the middle ages, especially the crusades and how Asia Minor switched from being the center of Christianity to being dominated by Muslim nations. When I told a co-worker I was listening to this series she commented that she thought it would be rather dry.  Maybe to many it would be, but I found it very interesting and it changed the way I saw the progress of history.  (2001, 24 lectures)

No comments:

Post a Comment