Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Roses of Feldstone by Esther Hatch

Rose and William were childhood friends, but when William unexpectedly became heir to their family estate, he started avoiding Rose who was without fortune or title. After two fruitless London seasons, Rose returns to Feldstone manner not knowing what to expect from William.  William knows that after his older brother's shameful marriage to a lowborn foreigner, it is up to him to uphold the family status. He has tried to push down his feelings for Rose, but without much success. Yet he fears if he were to follow his heart, it would be the death of his mother who has been declining since his brother's scandal. There seems to be insurmountable obstacles between the two old friends, not the least of which is their reluctance to share their true feelings with each other. Will William's promise to his mother to marry a suitable bride within six months mean the end to their hopes of happiness?

When I read the collection of Christmas romances last month, I realized that I wasn't familiar with one of the authors, Esther Hatch. I decided to try one of her novels hoping to find a new name for my "preferred clean romance writers" list. By the end of the book I was still ambivalent about whether to add her to my list.  In some ways this novel was very much like those of other authors I have enjoyed.  Rose has a spunky personality and there is snappy repartee between characters.  There are some funny moments and there is nothing really wrong with the setting.  Yet somehow, I had a hard time getting through the book. I kept wanting to turn off the recording rather than continue listening.  I am trying to put my finger on the reason why. It may have been just because I wasn't in the right mood this week but I think it was because I got really frustrated in their miscommunication with each other.  One or two scenes where miscommunication is an important plot point is fine and even to be expected in one of these novels, but this whole book was just one long case of miscommunication. I felt like shouting at them, "just talk to each other already!"  I am not sure if I will try this author again or not. (2018, 225 p)

No comments:

Post a Comment