Friday, January 7, 2011

Rodrick Rules by Jeff Kinney


I read the second in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney. I found the first book mildly amusing, but I did not enjoy this one as much. In this book the focus moves from Kinney's interactions at school to his relationship with this older brother at home. There were a few parts of the story that ring true, like the fact that they fought, but then became allies occasionally when they needed to. One thing that is beginning to bother me about the series is that the boys are so utterly without principals. Didn't their parents teach them right from wrong? All they ever consider when making a decision is personal gain. At times the author adds a statement like, "I kind have felt a little bad about..." but then quickly follows it up with some justification. Maybe it is the lack of morals that is supposed to be funny. Maybe nobody really is that morally clueless and that is why we laugh at these characters (except I didn't really laugh during this book). Anyway, I have read book one and two and I am done. I have no desire to read more Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment