Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy


Benjamin is reading this book for his English class. I had seen the movie, and the musical, so I decided to take the opportunity to read the book. Actually, I listened to the book in audio book form. It was great fun and I enjoyed it very much. Where as the play and the movie are portrayed from the point of view of the hero, the book is written entirely from the point of view of Marguerite. That makes it much more a book about how two people grow to love and respect each other, and less a book about a wily Englishman who outsmarts the French Revolutionists. I loved the ending, which was different from the movie and the play. It speaks to the heart of the real historical romance lover in me. Of course, it is not a children's book, but really, there is nothing in there that would make it inappropriate for teens, even tweens. (270 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment