Sunday, June 12, 2011

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George


This was a good book to read after I finished Coraline. It helped get the creepies out of my soul. This is a novelization of the story of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. That was one of my favorite fairy tales when I was a child. I even made an art work based on it and submitted it to the county fair when I was 12. This adaptation stays true to the original story, but fleshes out the details and the characters. One of the details that had bothered me in the original story was the princesses ages. In my childhood picture book, all the princesses looked like young adults and I wondered how they could all be sisters, and be so close in age. In this book, George has dealt with the issue admirably. She explains why the queen had so many girls so quickly. She also explains who the old woman was who gave the gardener the invisibility cloak, and how the girls came under the curse in the first place. The handsome gardener that saves them is very charming and likeable, the oldest sister with whom he falls in love is very charming and likeable. It is just a nice, normal, fairytale-ish book to snuggle with on the couch. (280 p)

No comments:

Post a Comment