Tuesday, August 30, 2011

100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson


Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I had 5 SLJ reviews due yesterday and that ate up all my spare time. I have been reading/listening to some good books so I will try to get caught up today.

This book started a little slow, but once it got going it was a decent fantasy/mystery. A boy, Henry, goes to live with his aunt, uncle, and female cousins because his parents have been kidnapped while working as archaeologists in a foreign country. He is given the attic for his bedroom and a few nights after he moves in chunks of plaster start falling off the wall and Henry discovers 99 cupboards hidden underneath the plaster. With the help of his slightly pushy and adventurous cousin, Henrietta, he discovers that each cupboard is the door to another world. Unwittingly, by unlocking the cupboards, he lets evil forces into his own world, and he finds himself in a battle to save his family. Since this is the first is a trilogy, Henry's victory at the end of the book is only a partial one. This is a pretty standard upper grade school fantasy. I like the idea of the cupboards as a mode of transportation to another world. It is reminiscent of the Narnian wardrobe. I also really liked the personality of the Uncle. At one point he is trying to get into a locked door. He starts out with tools, moves on to an ax and finally a chain saw. It made me laugh out loud. I totally know men who would do that. (289 p)

No comments:

Post a Comment