Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck


Cover image for A long way from Chicago : a novel in storiesJoey and his sister Mary Alice are sent to their grandma Dowdel's house every August for a week.  The book starts in 1929 when Joey is 9 and Mary Alice is 7, and then each chapter after that is a story about a different summer. The stories are a mixture humor and heart. The first time I read chapter one, I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair. At first the children are afraid of their gun-slinging, rough-around-the-edges, larger-than-life grandmother.  But as they get older, they begin to understand and enjoy their Grandma Dowdel's unique personality. I have read the book a couple of times.  This time I reread it because it is our Mother/Son book club book for November.  I hope, and think, both boys and parents will enjoy reading this one together. (148 p)

No comments:

Post a Comment