Saturday, April 14, 2018

Aspergers on the Inside by Michelle Vines

Cover image for Asperger's on the insideThis is a memoir of a woman who is a "Aspie," a person with aspergers, or high functioning autism.  In some chapters she narrates scenes from her life with commentary, and in other chapters she answers common questions about what it is like to be an Aspie.  I checked out the book because I associate with a couple of people on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum on a regular basis and I was hoping it would give me insight into how a "Aspie" thinks.  It did give me some good insight and it was mostly enjoyable to read.  I must admit I didn't finish the book.  I stopped reading about 50 pages from the end.  There were two reasons for this.  One, the book was due back at the library and I didn't really want to renew it, and two,  near the end she started to come over a little bit whiny.  Her attitude is, I am a great person, and my asperger's traits are positive, rather than negative.  This is a good and healthy view for her to take, but as the book progressed she spent a lot of time wondering why others couldn't accept her as she was, and why she had a hard time building long term relationships.  I probably should have finished it, but I felt that after 250 pages I got a good and sufficient dose of her life experience and insight. (299 p. 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment