Thursday, April 19, 2018

Sci-Fu Book 1: Kick it Off by Yehudi Mercado

Cover image for Sci-fu. Book 1, Kick it offWax is a DJ who lives in New York in the 1980's.  When they are not spinning the discs, Wax and his friend Cooky are scooping ice cream at their uncle's ice cream truck.  One day their whole apartment building is scooped away into another world.  Wax becomes a Sci-Fu master and must face the 5 deadly dangers in order to return his family to Earth.  As he goes through training to sharpen his Sci-Fu powers, he begins to turn into a robot and to lose track of what is most important.

I have been in charge of ordering graphic novels for my library for about a year now.  On this blog I have written about 42 of them.  With all that practice, I thought I was getting better with my graphic novel literacy, but this one was difficult for me to read.  I had a hard time following the action of the illustrations, and I didn't understand a lot of the cultural references to the DJ and rap culture. Near the end I was starting to do better.  I am sure that kids and adults who are part of the inner city music culture will enjoy this book just like I enjoyed Real Friends by Shannon Hale because it reflected my childhood culture.  Even though this book has got starred reviews nationally, I doubt if it will be very popular with my patrons.  (2018,144 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment