Saturday, February 16, 2019

Buy-In by John Kotter and Lorne Whitehead

Stock photo In this short book Kotter and Whitehead begin with a story of a woman trying to convince a group of citizens to approve a corporate/private partnership to get computers for a library.  He shows a short scenario where the idea is immediately shot down, and then a longer one where the lady, with the help of a friend, withstands opposition and builds "buy in" for the idea.  After that the authors walk the reader through 24 of the most common roadblocks people put up to stop new ideas, and ways to talk around them. 

As a new manager I have been reading books about how to make the things I want to happen, happen.  My sister-in-law recommended this book to me and I really liked it. I had to smile when I read about the most common attacks, because in just the three times I had to present before the City Council since I took my position, I had heard the exact same kinds of attacks, almost in the exact words.  Kotter has sound advice about how to prepare for a presentation, and how to welcome dissenting opinions and use them for your benefit. I don't know if his tactics would work in every situation, but his book certainly gives the beginning negotiator an arsenal of tools she can use going into a potentially difficult "sales" pitch.  I bought the book on CD since it wasn't available at my library or through Overdrive, and I will probably listen to it again next time I have an important idea to promote. (2010, 208 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment