Thursday, February 21, 2019

The Ancient Greek World by Tracy Barrett and Jennifer Roberts

I was a Classics major in college and have long been interested in ancient Greece and Rome.  This is a decent history of Greece and Hellenistic culture written at a 6th -9th grade level.  The authors hit on all the most important topics chronologically, starting with the Minoans and ending with the Library of Alexandria.  The writing is informative and interesting, with sprinklings of humor.  The authors include all the standard report aids in the back and the book is illustrated with photographs of historical artifacts.

So why did I listen to a random kid's report nonfiction on Greece?  I was about to go on a 2 hr drive when I finished the Witches book.  I didn't want to spend a bunch of time looking for another audiobook on Overdrive, so I basically picked the first kid's nonfiction that came up.  It was fun to be reminded of a bunch of stuff I learned in college.  The authors include both information about the time period, and information about how we learned what we know through archaeology and primary sources that have survived to today. Even though this is an older book, I think it is still worth reading as not much about ancient Greek history has changed in the last 15 years. (2004, 192 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment