Saturday, February 23, 2019

Moonlight Becomes You by Mary Higgins Clark

237114Maggie Holloway, a successful photographer, is unexpectedly reunited with her stepmother, Nuala, whom she hasn't seen in over a decade.  They make plans to spend time together at Nuala's home in Newport, Rhode Island, but when Maggie arrives she finds that her stepmother has been murdered.  As Nuala's closest relative and heir, Maggie decides to stay in town for a few weeks to go through Nuala's things and try to figure out who may have murdered her. As she begins to poke around in the picturesque tourist town, she discovers that Newport has very dangerous secrets.

This author was recommended to me by another of my sister-in-laws and I rather enjoyed it.  It is not quite as "cozy" as the Joanna Fluke books I have read.  The people who die are not villains, but people that the reader comes to care about. There are no recipes included at the end of each chapter (though the main character does shop for clothes at one point.)   All in all the plot was quite well crafted.  The plotting reminded me of Agatha Christi, where the reader takes brief peeks into one suspect's life and then another, picking up relevant information bit by bit until the mystery is solved. There is some good, heart pumping, suspense at the end, and I must admit I didn't figure out "who dun it" until it was revealed.  I will certainly put Mary Higgins Clark on my list of future reads. (2003, 352 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment