Friday, December 30, 2022

An Awakening Heart by Jody Hedlund


 Christine Pendleton is a wealthy spinster in late 19th century New York.  Her mother has recently died, and she is looking for a way to find meaning in life.  She volunteers at a ministry that serves the city's poor immigrants.  There she meet Pastor Badell, a widower who has a good heart, but hasn't really figured out how to help the people he preaches to.  Christine sees that the women in the congregation need jobs that pay enough so they won't have to rely on prostitution in order to feed their families.  As she tries to convince Pastor Badell to feed their bodies as well as their souls, she and the Pastor's regard for each other turns into affection, and eventually love.  

This is a short novella that I listened to to give myself a break after the heavier nonfiction history I just listened to.  It is sentimental and cheesy, but I enjoyed it.  It had a more satisfying ending than the last Hedlund book I read , A Reluctant Bride.  I felt like the couple in this story could actually work out a "happily ever after" for themselves.  The religious element was a little heavier than in the last book, but I did appreciate that they were able to look back in the end and see that their challenges were actually pushing them to accomplish a greater goal. To my faithful readers, I am sorry I keep reading this B-level sentimental nonsense.  My only defense is that I have always maintained that you should read what you want to read, and I happen to enjoy sentimental nonsense once in a while.  (2017, 139p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment