Tuesday, June 2, 2015

False Colours by Georgette Heyer

Cover image for False coloursThis is another cute Georgette Heyer period romance.  Chrisopher and Evelyn (a male, despite the female sound of the name) are identical twins.  Evelyn is the first born and is destined to inherit the family fortune and the title, Lord Fancot.  Christopher (Kit) has gone into the diplomatic service and is on the way to making a successful career for himself. When their widowed mother gets into considerable debt problems, Evelyn agrees to a marriage of convenience that will allow him to clear her debts.  On the day that Evelyn is scheduled to meet his intended's most influential relatives, Evelyn is nowhere to be found.  Lady Fancot convinces Kit, who just that day returned after 3 years abroad, to go in Evelyn's place, pretending to be Evelyn, so that the relatives will not be offended and the planned marriage will not be canceled. It is easy to see where this is going, right?  The woman whom Evelyn was engaged to marry, Cressida, doesn't recognize the switch at first, but finds she likes "Evelyn" better on the second and subsequent meetings, than she did when they first met. Evelyn still is no where to be found, and Kit is forced to continue his charade while slowly falling for his brother's fiancee. The plot is predictable, but the book is full of quirky and endearing characters and interesting relationships.  This book is not quite as squeaky clean as The Reluctant Widow.  Almost all the main characters at some time in the book mention extra-marital relationships they have had, and there is the double standard that men can engage in these kind of things without much scandal, but if a woman does, she is ruined for life. As long as you are willing to forgive this cultural flaw, the book is a fun read, and I must admit I have checked out another by the same author.  (341 p)

(I have been reading these because I jog on a little trampoline as part of my daily exercise.  I used to watch video while I am jogging, but have discovered, if I make the text on my Kindle rather large, I can read instead. This is a good thing because I don't really want to watch PG-13 videos, and I have seen all my PG videos many many times.  I decided my jogging reading can be just for fun, and doesn't have to be children's literature for my job).

No comments:

Post a Comment