Friday, January 5, 2018

One Last Word by Nikki Grimes

Cover image for One last word : wisdom from the Harlem RenaissanceThis is the last book I needed to read from the Library's Mock Newbery List.  It is a collection of poetry by Nikki Grimes, based on poetry from many of the famous authors from the Harlem Renaissance.  What Grimes has done is taken lines, and even whole poems, and written new poems in which the last word of each line of the new poem is a word from the original poem.  For example, the line, "to your own self be true" could become the poem
It is not so hard to
Think of what your
Parents would do, but your own
Actions are a reflection of self
Not what your parents want you to be
So you must decide which you is true.
 (I just made that up, it is not from the book)

Grimes explains in an author's note that this form of poetry is call "Golden Shovel."  I must admit I wasn't that impressed at first.  I tend to like poetry with more rhyme and meter. As I read the collection, however, I began to realize that Grimes had put a lot of wisdom and hope into the poems. Many of the poems are directed specifically to a black audience, but have a message of self acceptance that is applicable to anyone.  I also really liked the illustrations that appear with each poem.  They are by a variety of the most prominent African American illustrators. All in all, I don't know how much readership this collection will have in my community, but I am not surprised that it has received a lot of national acclaim. (120 p. 2017)


No comments:

Post a Comment