Sunday, November 20, 2022

Quiet Power by Susan Cain

 This is the "young reader" version of "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking" (why do nonfictions always have to have long titles?).  I didn't read the adult one, but this one is excellent.  It gives both introverted and shy kids tips on how to survive, cope, and thrive in a world that often rewards extroverts.   There are different sections on dealing with teachers, peers, taking leadership roles, doing sports, and dealing with family members.  Cain doesn't portray introversion as a challenge to be overcome, but as a strength to be exercised. As I read the author's advice, I kept thinking of myself as a child, but also about the children I know who struggle with shyness.  I especially liked the part at the end when the author gives ideas to parents and teachers how to make subtle changes in home and class management to help introverted children thrive.  (2016, 288 p)


No comments:

Post a Comment