Sunday, August 23, 2026

Great Courses: Effective Editing by Molly McCowan

 An essential part of becoming a good writer is embracing the process of editing what you write.  In this 13-lesson course, Ms McCowan walks the listener through the different kinds of editing, and discusses each in detail. She emphasizes the importance of doing the editing process in the correct order, from big picture to granular, and gives helpful instructions and examples of each stage. She ends the series with a class on "what's next" which explains what to do with your manuscript after you have done all the editing you can do.

I am currently writing a short children's novel for my grandchildren, and decided to listen to this course to give me suggestions about my editing process. It was super helpful and it made me want to go back and edit some of the similar novella that I have written for them in the past.  I think a lot of her advise is conventional wisdom and would be familiar to anyone who was serious about writing, but for me, who  has never had a creative writing class, it was really good information given in an accessible format. I am planning on listening through it again next time I am about to start an writing project. (5 hrs. 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment