Here is another Texas Christian romance by Karen Witemeyer about the Archer boys we were introduce to in the Short Straw Bride. It is the book that I skipped when I read Full Steam Ahead, but even after reading this one I see no connection to that one. Because the love interest is a preacher, this story tends to be even more preachy than her other books but really, I don't mind. I enjoyed the side story of Joanna's father's path to reconciliation with God after a young adulthood of crime. Of course, Crocket and Joanna are endearing as well. Still, this is my third Christian historical romance in a row, and I am ready for something else. (2013, 515 p.)
Wednesday, October 7, 2026
Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer
Crocket Archer took over the care of his brother's spiritual welfare when the group of teenage boys were left as orphans. Now an adult, he is eager to audition to lead his own parish in Piney Woods Texas. On the way to his interview, his train is held up by bandits. They aren't after valuables. Instead they are there to steal the him. They take him to the ex-train robber's home and present him as a present to his daughter, Joanna. She is mortified by her father's actions, but shares with Crocket her dreams of finding a preacher for their towns long empty church. Circumstances conspire that convince Crocket that this is the destination God intended for him, and that he has a role to play in Joanna's life. Life's pathways are never smooth, and Joanna and Crocket have many bumps in the road to overcome before they reach their divinely appointed happy ending.
Labels:
Grown-up Fiction,
Historical Fiction,
Romance
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment