Sunday, August 30, 2015

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Cover image for North and southIf you are like me you have watched the movie of North and South starring Richard Armitage more than once.  I decided it would be fun to read the book and see how it compares to the movie.  It actually is pretty much like the movie.  All the same things happen in all the same order. Most of the dialog in the movie is taken right from the book. The only thing that is different is the final scene, and in that case I think I like the movie version better. 

That said, I enjoyed reading it quite a bit.  I am afraid it made me stay up late almost every night for a week. It was originally written as a serial in a journal edited by Charles Dickens.  It was first published as a novel in 1855.  Now, or course, it is a historical fiction, but when it was written it was contemporary fiction.  The settings, language and social interactions are therefore very authentic and fun to read. So if you like the "real deal" period romances, this is a great choice. (450 p.)

No comments:

Post a Comment